We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Adjustable kettlebells are strength training tools that people can use during their home workout. They allow people to add or remove weights to reach their fitness goals without taking up much indoor space.
This article discusses what to look for in adjustable kettlebells, along with their potential health benefits. It will also list some pros and cons and some adjustable kettlebells to consider purchasing.
Kettlebells are a type of home workout equipment that people may use for strength training exercises. They are dome-shaped and typically have a handle attached to the top.
Standard kettlebells have a fixed weight and come in varying sizes, while an adjustable kettlebell comes as one piece that a person can add or remove weight from as desired. Some kettlebells come with a leakproof bag, so an individual may add water, sand, or gravel to adjust their kettlebell’s weight.
Adjustable kettlebells are generally more cost-effective than buying sets of kettlebells and may suit individuals who have limited workout space.
Individuals can perform the same exercises with standard and adjustable kettlebells. Some of these include:
- kettlebell swings
- goblet squats
- sumo upright rows
- Russian twists
Individuals may wish to consider the following kettlebell features before making a purchase:
- Handle: Kettlebells with a wide handle may suit taller individuals or those with larger hands. They may also suit people who wish to perform exercises involving holding a kettlebell with both hands.
- Size: Adjustable kettlebells, especially those that require sand or water for adding weight, are larger than traditional variants. A person may prefer more space-saving exercise products.
- Weight: Beginners may buy kettlebells that come with weights ranging between 5 and 10 pounds (lb). Those who exercise regularly may prefer a kettlebell with 30–40 lb of weight.
There are many adjustable kettlebells available for purchase. Below are some options that are suitable for people to use at home.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried any of these products. All information presented here is purely research-based.
This adjustable kettlebell may suit those with limited home exercise space. According to Bowflex, this product can do the job of six kettlebells.
Using the dial to add or remove weights, a person can adjust the kettlebell with six settings between 8 and 40 lbs.
Individuals may wish to view the kettlebell exercise videos on the Bowflex website to learn more about the type of routines they can perform. Some of these include:
- goblet lunges
- single-leg deadlifts
- gorilla rows
The Bowflex SelectTech 840 has the following dimensions:
- width: 8.81 inches (in)
- depth: 7 in
- height: 12.52 in
The Apex Adjustable Heavy Duty Kettlebell comes with:
- a 15 lb weighted handle
- four nonweighted removable spacer disks
- a 5 lb base
- a U-bar handle for a better grip that allows for large movements
A person can replace the removable spacer disks with 2.5, 5, or 10-lb weights, meaning that they can adjust the weight of the kettlebell between 20 and 50 lb.
Individuals may use the Apex Adjustable Heavy Duty Kettlebell to perform exercises such as:
- kettlebell swings
- Russian swings
- goblet squats
- lunge presses
This kettlebell comes with an inner bag that holds up to 45 lbs of sand. The sandbag includes a built-in filler bag, additional zipper, and hook-and-loop closure to ensure the sand stays fully contained and does not leak during workouts.
Some of the exercises that people may perform with this kettlebell sandbag include:
Kamagon’s adjustable kettlebell comes with two soft handles offering multiple grip options. People using this equipment may be able to perform different exercises such as Russian twists and overhead presses.
Individuals can add or remove water to adjust the weight from 2 to 13 lb.
Additionally, these kettlebells have a polyvinyl chloride construction, which helps minimize potential damage to flooring, unlike heavier iron weights.
This Powerblock kettlebell features a 32-millimeter diameter handle and four settings that allow a person to adjust its weight range to between 18 and 35 lbs.
It also features a steel selection pin with a magnetic lock, which an individual uses to select their desired weight.
Its dimensions are:
- length: 5.75 in
- width: 4.25 in
- height: 10 in
People who want to start exercising with adjustable kettlebells need to consider the following safety tips:
- Starting slowly: Individuals who do not exercise regularly may wish to start with very light weights and increase them gradually. This may prevent muscle strain, pain, and soreness.
- Breathing normally: People should breathe normally during strength training exercises, which may prevent hernias.
- Stopping if they have sudden pain: Individuals who feel sudden or sharp pain during their workout should stop immediately and seek medical advice from a trusted healthcare professional.
- Consulting a fitness trainer: Those interested in getting started with kettlebell training may consult a fitness trainer on weights and techniques.
The World Health Organization (WHO) says that people who do not partake in regular exercise may have a
BreastCancer.org claims strength exercises may have the following benefits:
- strengthening the bones
- improving balance and posture
- fixing muscle imbalance or weakness after breast cancer surgery
Additionally, a recent study found that over 80% of adults do not engage in muscle-strengthening activities. According to the researchers, these exercises may help prevent sarcopenia, a health condition that causes a decline in muscle mass or function.
According to BreastCancer.org, there are several adjustable kettlebell alternatives for muscle-strengthening exercises. These include:
- weight lifting
- exercises using resistance bands
- bodyweight exercises such as pullups and pushups
Adjustable kettlebells may be the best option for people who wish to work out at home and have limited space. Strength exercises can improve muscle flexibility, prevent specific health conditions, and help strengthen bones.
Before making a purchase, a person may wish to explore different manufacturers and choose a kettlebell that best suits their needs.
However, individuals should speak with a doctor before practicing muscle-strengthening exercises if they have an underlying health condition.